5 Follower

The Heavens Rise
Christopher Rice
The Troop
Nick Cutter
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, # 1)
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré
The Reapers Are the Angels
Alden Bell
Red Rising
Pierce Brown

Where My Heart Breaks

Where My Heart Breaks - Ivy Sinclair Every once in a while I like to give an indie author a chance and a read a book that is not well known or hyped. It’s not out of the goodness of my heart, because really I am not that good. But sometimes, if you’re lucky you find a diamond in a sea full of stones. And in light of it, this really is a good read, even partially outstanding. What really got me hooked into the story was that book in a book leitmotif. The book within the book interacts within the literary environment. It gives the novel an ever-present, lingering impression of a big tragic love. The book in a book motif is not unique, but here it is really well done and it kept me interested in the novel long after I admitted to myself that I absolute dislike the main character Kate. I have a lot of conflicting feelings about this book. Part of me really liked it, but elements of the book made me really dislike it, too.

So apart from a very good setting and the great book in a book motif I had some issues with the characterization. We are being told that Kate behaved REALLY badly in her last year. But what exactly is not clear. Just because she might have partied to hard and has made some bad decisions along the way by going to bed with the wrong guy doesn’t warrant being treated like a child, sent to a shrink and having to submit to her aunt and her mother like a slave to its master as an act of atonement. Which 21 year old college girl hasn’t been once too drunk, or made a bad decision along the way? This whole “I don’t know who I am” thing didn’t convince me. But it annoyed me A LOT. Kate is just simply weak and she hasn’t the guts to stand up to her aunt or her mother or anybody else, not for herself and not for others either. Her holier-than-you best friend Millie was so clean like a freshly wiped and powdered baby bum.

Reed is being introduced as the bad boy and notorious player. But again we are being told and not shown. Instead of acting like a bad boy, we find out he cares for his mother, has a master degree in English literature and doesn’t do dates because of tragic event 10 years ago. Well, that makes him pretty decent boyfriend material in my book. Just because an author paints a tattoo on a guy and gives him dark hair doesn’t make him a bad boy. You want to know how to write a bad boy? This book is a very good example:

[b:Wasted Heart|17450943|Wasted Heart (Ruining, #3)|Nicole Reed|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1381161496s/17450943.jpg|24337260]
[bc:Wasted Heart|17450943|Wasted Heart (Ruining, #3)|Nicole Reed|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1381161496s/17450943.jpg|24337260]

In spite of Kate’s annoying character and Reed’s not so believable bad boy status, the chemistry between those two and the space in which their relationship develops started out really well. I mean I didn’t wet my panties, or some such, but the love relationship is described pretty decent. The premises were really awesome, the romantic suspense was ok, but Kate as MC was a small disaster. Still this is a good and pleasant read.