5 Follower

The Heavens Rise
Christopher Rice
The Troop
Nick Cutter
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, # 1)
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré
The Reapers Are the Angels
Alden Bell
Red Rising
Pierce Brown

Omens (Cainsville Trilogy)

Omens (Cainsville Trilogy) - Kelley Armstrong First of all, I loved reading this book. It’s the perfect book for a rainy Sunday, when you make yourself a hot chocolate or a big cup of tea. You can cuddle up with a blanket on your favorite reading couch and spend hour after hour grinning and anticipating and fevering with the characters in the book. It so good, that you can’t put it down.

Omens is made for your imagination. It is easy to visualize the small town of Cainsville with its Gargoyles and the mysterious natives.
What I really enjoyed was how KA integrated supernatural into the overall story. It reminded me of the movie The Devil's Advocate with its effective blend of supernatural thrills and character exploration or the erudite suspense novel The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown with Robert Langdon embroiled in a quest for the Holy Grail with mostly accurate descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents and secret rituals. The novel is full of esoteric references and reminded me also a little bit of the novels of Umberto Eco, specifically Foucault's Pendulum and The Name of the Rose. Omens is not an Urban Fantasy, as many reviewers already indicated, but a well-crafted mystery thriller with a touch of urban fantasy elements. If Urban Fantasy was a child this would be the grown up version of it. I really enjoyed the use of references to real life historic events (The FBI mind control programs) and literature references (Arthur Conan Doyle). It adds to the story and its creep factor making it more substantial but also I think it is something special if an author makes you look up the historic hints.

Oh this book was awesome ... And I personally think the Kirkus review is totaly amiss. The missing romance part: It is a great strength of the author making her readers anticipate, raising the hopes of something more intimate to happen in the next book.